I’m DiipSilence, I’m a music and sound artist based in LA. My primary music styles are Electronica, Chillout, Downtempo and Glitch.
TELL US ABOUT YOUR NEW ALBUM OR SINGLE
- My new single is titled “Big Hand”, which is a metaphor to illustrate the sense of restraint that various obstacles in life impose on my life. There are moments when I feel tightly held by an invisible force, hindering my spirit to chase freedom. Emerging from this emotional backdrop, the song articulates a profound yearning for freedom and ease in everyday life. The notion of metamorphosing into immortals or wild beasts is not deemed inherently detrimental; instead, it symbolizes a form of freedom that transcends conventional boundaries, liberating individuals from the limitations imposed by reality. I blend modular synth and field recordings in this song to strike a balance between organic and electronic music elements.
The modular synth’s resonating tones is a representative of the “big hand” or obstacles in our life, while the field recordings capture the essence of the nature or human environment. The lyrics draw inspiration from Chinese poetry, Buddhism, and Taoism, infusing profound ancient wisdom into the composition. I enjoy the rhythm and lyrical beauty found in ancient Chinese poetry. It has the remarkable ability to convey countless emotions and imagery using minimal words.
The streaming link is here: https://tr.ee/8xvykALgfu
WHICH SONG WOULD YOU SAY SUMS UP YOUR SOUND THE BEST?
- Foley Odyssey. It’s a combination of electronic sound and field recordings, foley, etc. From the title you could see that’s something related to FOLEY lol! It has electronic beats, progressive house drums, robot vocal chops, also with human breath, animal growl, and other foley sound effects, which is the very beginning of my foley/field recording – driven music journey.
HOW DID YOU GET INTO MUSIC?
- In the past, my main focus was on math, and writing music was merely a delightful hobby. This changed while I found out Ancient African drummers used Euclidean sequencers in beats, it showed me their profound connection. Music production's note length, rhythm, and frequencies intertwined beautifully with math. Pursuing a music career no longer felt far-fetched, then I decided to take the plunge.
WHAT DOES TYPICAL WRITING AND RECORDING DAY LOOK LIKE?
- Field recording and sound design is the first step to me, my music deeply involved from the sounds that I captured while traveling, or simply walk around in the city and take some random sounds. Then I go back to my studio.
HOW DID YOU GET YOUR STAGE NAME?
- DiipSilence is coming from the meaning of my original name, which means deep and silent. Although I’m a noise maker, but I’m still a quiet dreamer lol, so have “Silence” in my artist name seemed natural.
WHAT HAS BEEN THE HARDEST THING ABOUT YOUR MUSIC JOURNEY SO FAR?
- Understanding my emotions, follow my heart and expressing it accurately is tough. Figuring out people, including myself, is the hardest part. Emotions are complex, sometimes hidden under experiences and feelings. Writing music is like exploring a deep emotional world, trying to connect with others and understand ourselves better.
WHAT'S BEEN THE EASIEST?
- The look-like easiest part actually comes from tons of practice and self-discipline. With time and exploration, using modular synth and other types of synth feels natural to me now. I don't see anything as entirely easy; some parts are just a bit easier based on how much effort I put in. So I could say, the easiest part is the part that I put in the most effort, then it becomes effortless.
WHAT WOULD YOU DOING IF YOU WEREN'T MAKING MUSIC?
- I’ll go back to my major, to do some jobs related to math, applied math/math modeling in specific areas. I love both math and music!
WHAT IS THE BEST ADVICE YOU’VE BEEN GIVEN?
- Live and write genuine.
- New single or album comes up every month! I’m planning to release some film scores that I did in the next couple of months, so stay tuned and love music!
- All music will be in here: https://linktr.ee/diipsilence
- All social platforms: @diipsilence